Angry parents, faculty fight Chauncey closing

After a planning session Monday, more than 160 frustrated parents and faculty suggested alternatives that would allow the doors of Chauncey Elementary School to remain open for a little while longer.

After a proposal to relocate students and repurpose the school met significant opposition, the Athens School Board held a meeting Wednesday night to hear residents present any alternative options.

The Board plans to announce its final decision Jan. 26 at the next board meeting.

The “Save Chauncey” group, started by parent John Frost, began in early December after students came home with a letter saying their school could possibly be closed because of the district’s impending $1 million budget reduction for the 2012–13 school year.

Frost started a petition, campaigning online and going door to door, targeting 500 signatures. By Wednesday, more than 900 people had signed.

Autumn Bycofski, one of Save Chauncey’s most active members, presented a packet consisting of potential solutions to the Board’s budget dilemma. She said the current proposal would have a drastic effect on the school district.

“The superintendent’s solution to this problem is short-term, not long-term,” Bycofski said. “You do not have to close the doors to a structure that has provided so much.”

One solution presented by the opposition included reconstructing grade levels. Currently, all the elementary schools in the district have seven grades — kindergarten through sixth grade.

Under the proposal, two grade levels would occupy three of the elementary school buildings and the sixth grade would be moved to Athens Middle School. This would result in the closure of two of the elementary schools.

Another option would be to expand class sizes at Chauncey, allowing the district to make its presented cuts by eliminating staff instead of the building. This would move an entire grade into one Chauncey classroom to provide space for administrative purposes.

Other options suggested included assessing every elementary school’s structural viability; closing or selling the administration’s central office in The Plains; and cutting music, art and physical-education programs.

Board member Scott Nisley said the effort put into the options was greatly appreciated and everyone’s feelings and thoughts will be considered.

“This is not a decision that we take lightly, and we will do our best to make the best decision possible,” Nisley said.

Superintendent Carl Martin had considered many of the options presented before the forum. He said he greatly appreciated all the comments but has to deal with both the fiscal and educational aspects of any decision.

“No one is wrong in this situation, but some of the suggestions may not be completely practical,” he said. “We will continue to look into all options.”

After last year’s $500,000 cut to the budget, Board President Christian Gerig said this year’s cuts will make the decision even harder.

“We have faced many financial difficulties this past year, and if the Chauncey solution is opted by the board then we will have to take that step,” Gerig said.

After almost 40 people explained their opposition during a two-and-a-half hour period, Jody Abdella, president of Chauncey Community Improvement Committee, asked the board to take everything into account.

“I challenge you, Board, to not look at this as something that’s too hard but as a challenge for you to make this better,” Abdella said.

kg287609@ohiou.edu

az346610@ohiou.edu