Athens County Board of Elections finds replacement for Bias

As the political storm brews in anticipation of the March 6 primary in a presidential election year, the Athens County Board of Elections is preparing for the polls with the help of a new board member.

After Bill Bias left his position as president of Athens City Council, chairman of the Athens County Democratic Party and now as a board member of the Athens County Board of Elections, a local businessman David Ratliff is moving in.

Earlier this month, Ratliff was admitted onto the board to complete Bias’ term until 2014. Because Bias is running for Athens County treasurer, he can no longer hold a position on the board, said Debbie Quivey, Athens County Board of Elections director. 

“Bias was very pleasant and professional, and we felt he was an asset,” Quivey said. “David was chosen by the Democratic Executive Party to finish off (Bias’) term.”

Ratliff, president of Athens Flower Shop, previously served as Athens County commissioner and as Athens Township trustee. He said taking the position grants him the opportunity to give back to the community.

“I want to be able to say I contributed something to the citizens of Athens County,” Ratliff said. “I want to make sure that elections are fair, equitable and accessible to all.”

Bias said he believes Ratliff’s previous political experience will make him an important asset to the board.

“He’s dedicated, detail-oriented and does things for all the right reasons,” Bias said. “I’m glad he was willing to do it.”

Members of the board are in charge of monitoring the election process. Some of their responsibilities include enforcing rules and instructions to guide the process, checking voter qualifications and issuing election certifications.

“As board members, we oversee the elections and if there’s a dispute or judgment needed on Election Day, that’s what we’re involved in,” Ratliff said.

As Ratliff settles into his new seat, however, Bias is moving from helping run elections to campaigning for his own.

Bias decided to run for office after Athens County Treasurer Javon Kittle Cooper announced that she would not be up for re-election. He is campaigning against Libertarian candidate Ibrahim Alassaf, a senior at Ohio University.  

“I have the necessary experience and education to offer myself to the citizens of Athens County,” Bias said. 

Bias has accumulated more than 20 years of city-government experience, including four years as Athens County treasurer. Ending his full-time career as regional director for United Health Inc., Bias said he is looking forward to leaving the “draining, meat-grinder kind of work” in the business world.

“I felt (treasurer) would be a position I’d like to end my career with,” he said. 

kg278810@ohiou.edu       

aw261607@ohiou.edu