Athens sees an increase of over $100,000 in liquor sales in 2011

Residents and students worked together to buy nearly $110,000 more liquor in Athens last year than in 2010.

Though liquor agencies in Ohio sold 5.3 percent more liquor in value than 2011, liquor sales in Athens only saw a 4.3 percent, according to records from the Ohio Department of Commerce.

In 2011, slightly over $2.5 million or retail liquor was sold, while $2.4 million was sold in 2010.

In March, Athens’ only retail liquor license changed hands from Lucky Dog Carry Out, 309 West Union St.,to Kroger, 919 East State St.

Liquor, or “spirituous liquor,” is defined as alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content higher than 21 percent.

Wholesale liquor sales were also up about 3.1 percent in Athens, or a little over $60,000.

Liquor sales in Ohio reached $793.7 million in 2011, an increase of 5.3 percent and $40 million higher than in 2010, according to a news release from the Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Liquor Control.

“Better inventory management and improved customer service helps us meet the needs of consumers,” said David Goodman, Director of the Ohio Department of Commerce, in the news release. “This is a positive indicator for Ohio’s economy, showing that Ohioans are again patronizing restaurants and entertainment businesses.”

The Division of Liquor Control sold 11.4 million gallons of spirituous liquor last year, a 3.9 percent increase over 2011.

dd195710@ohiou.edu