Board of Trustees: President's report praises OU-Lancaster program

When it comes to American Sign Language, Ohio residents and California residents sign with two distinctive “accents.”

Lori Woods, an instructor in the Deaf Studies and Interpreting program at Ohio University's Lancaster campus, shared this fact with OU's Board of Trustees in Lancaster Friday. The program was one of the “points of pride” OU President Roderick McDavis included in his report to the trustees.

Woods spoke about the programs and events used to engage sign-language students, such as “silent picnics” and “ASL Idol.” When it comes to the classroom, though, ASL instructors have set guidelines.

“We do not allow spoken English to be used in the classroom,” Woods said. “The students learn the language much better with that kind of immersion.”

McDavis outlined several other points of pride, including accomplishments of students and faculty on OU's Lancaster campus. He also recognized OU-Eastern student Kristina Velkovich, who was named a state student ambassador by the Ohio Board of Regents, and OU-Southern alumnus Ernie Hall, who received an Emmy for his photojournalism work with Action News in Jacksonville, Fla.

The report also touched on the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl; McDavis praised OU's football team for securing its first-ever bowl win.

Last year, OU was recognized as a military-friendly school by GI Jobs Magazine, an acknowledgment that reflected the work of OU officials such as University College Dean David Descutner, McDavis said.

“We believe our veterans … ought to have the opportunity to come to one of the finest universities in the country,” McDavis said.

McDavis updated the trustees on his recent trip to Hong Kong and Malaysia to network with alumni, fundraise and explore future academic partnerships. An initial result from the trip was a $750,000 gift for OU's Southeast Asian Studies Tun Abdul Razak Chair.

“We think a followup will lead us to further donations from both Malaysia and Hong Kong in the months ahead,” McDavis said.

McDavis provided an update on applications and admission numbers for OU as of Jan. 9.

Applications to OU are up compared to this time last year; on Jan. 9, 14,110 students had applied, compared with 10,511 at the same time last year. OU has already admitted 8,595 students, compared with 5,935 students at this time last year.

The office of OU's Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit has emphasized recruiting not only more students but also better students, McDavis said.

“We fully anticipate having a great class for the fall of 2012,” he said.

rm279109@ohiou.edu