Board of Trustees: Promise Lives capital campaign edges closer to completion

LANCASTER — Ohio University has raised another $5 million for its capital campaign, bring the university to about 85 percent of its total goal.

The Promise Lives capital campaign has culled a total of $382 million, up from the $377 million reported at the November Board of Trustees meeting. OU's goal is to raise $450 million by June 2015.

Bryan Benchoff, vice president for University Advancement, updated the trustees on the campaign's progress at Thursday's Resources Committee meeting in Lancaster.

“What Mr. Benchoff presented … Ohio University reaching and exceeding the capital campaign goal, helps improve the university's financial strength and helps strengthen academic quality,” OU President Roderick McDavis said.

The capital campaign's total was boosted by a $105 million gift given to OU's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Osteopathic Heritage Foundations announced the gift last May.

Benchoff said the work of volunteers will be especially essential as the campaign continues.

“I've only been (at OU) for 6 months, and I want to acknowledge the hard work the deans and the development officials have put in,” Benchoff said. “We've gotten some tremendous gifts, and what a wonderful story that is for OU. This doesn't happen in all campaigns.”

rm279109@ohiou.edu