Nelsonville-York guard Casey Cox dribbles past a Wellston defender at Nelsonville-York January 28,2011. Nelsonville-York lost 55-57. In Friday night's game against Athens, Cox made a 3-pointer to send the game into overtime.

Boys Basketball: AHS falls to 3rd place after losing 2 in a row

It was a tough weekend for the Athens High School boys basketball team.

After losing a heartbreaking game in overtime to Nelsonville-York Friday, the Bulldogs traveled to Marietta and dropped their second game in as many days. And injuries might hamper the team as play continues.

The loss to Nelsonville-York was especially devastating for Athens, as it relinquished its conference lead over the Buckeyes in a 61-54 decision. The Buckeyes (7-3, 2-1 Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division) moved ahead of the Bulldogs (5-5, 2-2 TVC-Ohio), which fell into a tie for third place with Wellston.

Against Nelsonville-York, Athens had control for most of the game but failed to put away the Buckeyes down the stretch. Nelsonville’s Casey Cox ended regulation just as he started it — with a 3-pointer. Cox nailed a buzzer-beater right over the outstretched hands of two Athens defenders that sent the game into overtime.

Cox finished the game with 22 points.

“It’s the biggest shot we’ve had for Nelsonville-York in a long time,” Buckeyes’ coach Jay Kline said. “Whenever you beat an Athens team, you know you’ve accomplished something.”

In overtime, it was another Buckeye guard who took control of the game. Austin North had 10 of his 16 points in the extra period, hitting all eight of his free throws.

Athens coach Jeff Skinner attributed the loss to inexperience and injuries.

“Our guys playing varsity, even juniors and seniors, aren’t real experienced, and experience will close out a game like that,” Skinner said. “If we had more experience than we probably win that game by six or eight, but Casey Cox made a big shot.”

Freshmen Ryan Luehrman and Joey Burrow are part of the inexperience that Skinner mentioned, but their numbers don’t suggest it. Luehrman led the team in scoring with 22 points on 10-of-13 shooting after making his first nine shots. He also leads the team in scoring on the season, averaging 11.1 points per game, while Burrow is second, averaging an even 10 a game.

Injuries aren’t helping the squad, either. Senior Josh Skinner is still recovering from a dislocated shoulder and has severe tendinitis in his elbow. Senior Kramer Simmons had knee surgery and has tendinitis in his knee, as does sophomore Michael Germano.

Perhaps worst of all, senior Nick Stanley has a torn labrum in his left hip — an injury that normally sidelines most athletes — and has to have surgery right after the season, with an expected nine-month recovery after that.

He said he is still playing only because it can’t get any worse.

Senior Josh Maxson is still recovering from a pneumonia scare that put him in the hospital at the end of football season.

“We’re just all banged up,” Skinner said.

If the Bulldogs can’t get healthy and don’t find ways to close out games, it could be a long rest of the season in the TVC. Athens plays at home against Logan Tuesday.

as506610@ohiou.edu