Boys Basketball: Nelsonville-York shoots for similar season to football team

The 2011-12 Nelsonville-York boys basketball team is attempting to replicate the success of the Buckeye football team earlier this fall, but with a slightly different ending.

The gridiron Buckeyes were the TVC-Ohio favorites and won their first nine games before losing 24-21 to Athens in a Week 10 overtime game for the conference championship. In their opening Division V state playoff game, the Buckeyes fell to Portsmouth West 18-12.

Many of the Buckeyes’ football stars are also formidable on the hardwood, and so far, have made a successful transition as Nelsonville-York is tied for third in the TVC-Ohio.

The 6-3 Buckeyes have won six of their last seven games, and are hoping to contend for the TVC-Ohio title and beyond. Senior captains Casey Cox at point guard, Daniel Kline at power forward, and Kyle Moore at center lead the Buckeyes.

“Obviously there is an opportunity for that (TVC championship), and we have 8 games left,” coach Jay Kline said. “Each game is big, so hopefully we'll get in the race.”

Kline also highlighted his team’s goal to win a sectional championship in the OHSAA state playoffs. “We’d like to win a sectional title, to play in the Convo. Right now we have the best record (in our sectional),” he said.

The Buckeyes are 1-1 in the TVC, with their conference loss coming at home by eight points to Vinton County on Dec. 13.

Kline emphasized his team’s unselfishness as a key factor in its success through nine games.

“We have several guys who can score points for us, so we don’t rely too heavily on one person,” he said. “Casey Cox is our leading scorer at about 14 points per game, but Daniel (Kline) and Kyle Moore also score … we play mostly an eight-man rotation.”

Rounding out the starting five for Nelsonville are Austin North and Jacob Blake, with a combined average of 17 points per game. Marc Carter is also a key backcourt contributor off the bench.

Today, the Buckeyes will make the short trip down state Route 33 to McAfee Gymnasium, where they will take on the Athens Bulldogs. With a win, Nelsonville-York would tie Athens with two league wins.

nc606411@ohiou.edu