Campus showing State of the Union address

A year ago, President Barack Obama said, “The future is ours to win,” in his last State of the Union address.

Today, Obama will be addressing the nation again, and at OU, his message will be heard in Walter Hall.

Obama supporters throughout the country are hosting more than 2,500 parties to watch the president deliver the annual State of the Union address. One of the watch parties will be held at 8 p.m. in 145 Walter Hall.

The watch party offers an opportunity for volunteers on campus and in Athens to get together and watch the State of the Union address as the election approaches. The event also will offer free food for those who attend.

Today will mark the fourth State of the Union party OU has held. The address has been broadcast at the college annually since 2009.

Nick Tuell, president of College Democrats at OU and a junior studying political science, said he is looking forward to Obama’s State of the Union address.

“I really think that it is important for all Americans to watch Obama’s address,” Tuell said. “Obama doesn’t see this as a tour, and he will inform Americans on all sorts of issues.”

Tuell said he thinks the president will cover jobs, the economy, student-loan debt and voter-ID requirements.

“These are all huge, controversial topics that need to be discussed,” Tuell said.

One of the points the president plans to stress in his address Tuesday is investing skills in American workers. He plans to propose a new set of ideas in educating workers so Americans can compete and succeed in jobs for the future.

Sarah Williams, an intern for Obama for America and a senior studying political science, helped organize the watch party and is in charge of OU’s Obama for America activities and events.

“I’m really excited to campaign for this upcoming election,” Williams said. “It’s a really exciting time in politics, and I’m really looking forward to being a part of it.”

Tuell said it is important for students to get involved and use their voice to help the country.

“We need to make sure that students do have a strong voice and they become well educated and get involved,” Tuell said. “There are several ways students can get involved, whether they talk to their peers, get involved with an organization or register to vote.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu