Dads Weekend delivers diverse activities

Fathers will flock to festivities held by various organizations this weekend in celebration of Ohio University’s “Dads Weekend.”

The activities will kick off Friday with the Ohio University Program Council presenting the “Dads Weekend Man Cave” in Baker Center Ballroom. The event will feature activities such as skee ball, Wii and Hi-Striker. Food, such as loaded nachos and sliders, will be provided.

“We’re kind of doing whatever dads like to do during their free time,” said Emma Clark, UPC university events executive programmer. “We want to give them a lot of options so that they don’t have to travel or go out to the bars and so that younger kids can bring their dads. We want to have the students and their dads have a great time on campus.”

Friday’s events also include the “Open Stage with Bruce Dalzell,” the university’s longest-running open stage. Those interested in performing can sign up in The Front Room.

Events will continue Saturday with a “Dads Weekend Beer Tasting” at Jackie O’s. The event is presented by The Empower Campaign, a non-profit organization run by OU professors Andria and Hogan Sherrow.

"Our mission at Empower is to provide AIDS orphans in Uganda with education resources and access,” Sherrow said in an email. “Last year, through our fundraising, we finished building a primary school in a village near the forest where I work. This year, we’re looking to do more.”

There are only 80 tickets for each of the three tastings Saturday, which can be purchased by contacting Andria Sherrow.

Also on Saturday, Alden Library will hold the 2nd Annual Alden Open following the successful event last year.

“We had a pretty good turnout for our first year,” said Kelly Broughton, assistant dean for research and education services at Alden. “We specifically tried for Dads Weekend this year to increase turnout and we’re really hopeful about that. It’s a good relaxing and fun thing to do with family or friends in the library, different than studying or using the computers.”

The mini-golf event will feature two courses. The holes run throughout the library on the third, fourth and fifth floors going between bookcases and through group areas and rooms. Pizza, drinks and raffle prizes will also be available. The profits go toward students attending the Ohio University Annual Student Research and Creativity Expo.

Capping off the weekend will be the Faculty Chamber Music Series Concert, “Something New,” held in Glidden Hall Sunday.

The College of Fine Arts will also hold the School of Art Biennial Faculty Exhibition and the Interior Architecture Exhibition, which will run all weekend. The School of Dance is also presenting the Athens Black Contemporary Dance Company, which performs choreography celebrating black themes and aesthetics.

eb104010@ohiou.edu