SHIELDS

Dean's focus: improve Graduate College

After a Graduate College dean search that brought three unique finalists to Ohio University’s campus in December, the university ultimately chose a familiar face to head the college.

Joseph Shields, in his 16th year at the university, has officially taken on the title of vice president for research and creative activity in addition to dean of the Graduate College, two positions that merged about four years ago.

Shields will receive $176,000 annually; his predecessor, Rathindra Bose, made $217,150 a year.

The search lasted six months and racked up a cost of more than $70,000 for the provost’s office. The office used the Jeff Harris & Associates firm for the search.

Shields served as interim dean throughout the search process after Bose left in July 2011 to become the vice chancellor for research and technology transfer at the University of Houston. Bose declined to comment on Shields’ hiring.

The other three finalists included Daniel Flynn, associate dean for research and economic development at The Commonwealth Medical College; Colin Scanes, professor of biological sciences at the University of Wisconsin; and Frank Calzonetti, vice president for government relations at the University of Toledo.

“Dr. Shields believes wholeheartedly in the capacity of Ohio University faculty, students and staff to make major contributions to the development of knowledge in all realms,” Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit said in an email. “He is passionate about the vital connection between research and creative activity and teaching.”

The majority of students, faculty and administrators who attended the four finalists’ presentations during their visits to campus reported popular results for Shields. Evaluation forms filled out by those attending the open forums cited Shields’ knowledge of the college and plans. The only reoccurring concern was his lack of diversity and experience in an administrative position, according to the evaluations.

As dean, Shields plans to emphasize professional development and research in addition to working with the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.

“I want to continue to work towards and improving the support for graduate programs and quality of our graduate education,” he said.

Katherine Tadlock, director of graduate student services, said she met all the candidates.

“(Shields) has an understanding of Ohio University to a deeper extent, having been so involved in his time here,” she said.

af234909@ohiou.edu