Facebook app offers financial aid resources

College students can now use Facebook to find scholarships and financial aid thanks to a partnership between MTV and College Board.

The “My College Dollars” app was created by Devin Valencia, a recent graduate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. In 2011, Valenica won the College Board and MTV's 'Get Schooled' College Affordability Challenge, a contest looking for creative ways to make the financial aid process easier for students, according to mtv.com.

The app, which came out last month, informs students about different ways they can pay for college. It allows users to search for scholarships, track important financial aid deadlines and learn the steps to filling out FAFSA.  

Becky Wagner, a sophomore studying journalism, said she wouldn’t use the app to find scholarships.

"Maybe people who are technologically advanced [will],” Wagner said. “I wouldn't see it as a legitimate source."            

But Maria Marchese, an undecided freshman, said she thinks it would be useful.  

"I feel like it is more accessible to kids in college," Marchese said.           

Valerie Miller, the director of Ohio University’s student financial aid and scholarships, said that because the app is through College Board, it seems to be a reasonable source for information.

"We are happy to see that connection and lots of different avenues as one more viable place for students to gain information." Miller said. "Looking at [the app] and hearing about it before it looked like there were a lot of good tips.

The app is a good starting point for students looking for aid, but Miller said they should still meet with a financial aid adviser to make sure they garner the information from various resources.

“Through this site or checking with financial office … it could have an impact on bringing critical information for students," Miller said.

sf339111@ohiou.edu