Williams

Football: Aggie coach signs on as new defensive line coordinator for Ohio

The Bobcats will have to wait another week to know which players will fill the roster spots left by outgoing seniors. But the team already has filled its only coaching vacancy.

Jesse Williams, formerly the defensive line coach for New Mexico State, has accepted the same position under Ohio head coach Frank Solich. Williams replaces 11-year assistant coach Pete Germano, who left to be the defensive line coach and special teams coordinator at Fresno State earlier this month. The team has not announced who will take care of special teams duties.

Williams’ salary at his new position will be $65,000.

Prior to his three-year stint with the Aggies, Williams was a defensive assistant at Nebraska-Kearney, Colorado State, San Jose State and four other college football teams.

Williams also has been a special teams coach several times during his 20 years as a college football coach.

“My family and I are so excited … to come to Ohio and work under such a quality head coach like Frank Solich,” Williams said in a statement. “There is no better time than now to come be a part of the Ohio football program.”

Three former Aggies coaches are now on Ohio’s staff. Co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Gerry Gdowski and offensive line coach Keven Lightner left New Mexico State to join Solich’s staff in 2005.

Defensively, the Aggies struggled in 2011. The team allowed 462 yards per game, which puts it in the bottom 10 nationally in total defense among Football Bowl Subdivision teams. New Mexico State ranked 107th of 120 FBS teams in rushing defense (219 yards per game) and 82nd in passing defense (243 yards per game).

The Bobcats saw the Aggies’ defense at the beginning and end of the 2011 campaign. Ohio opened the season in Las Cruces and put up 44 points and 452 yards against New Mexico State. The Bobcats also studied the team’s defensive line by watching film from the Aggies’ game against Utah State in preparation for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

“I’m really excited about next year. I haven’t had a chance to meet him yet; I’m definitely ready for spring (training camp) coming up,” said defensive lineman Tremayne Scott. “I’m just hoping he’ll turn us loose and let us go after the quarterback.”

ms229908@ohiou.edu