Men's Basketball: Close games cloud conference

Multiple Mid-American Conference teams elevated themselves into the national spotlight with quality out-of-conference wins, but as conference play begins, players and coaches prepare to take their games to another level.

“I think, any time you get into league play, it just matters more,” said Toledo coach Tod Kowalczyk. “Teams do a better job of scouting, and there’s so much more familiarity with each other.”

Rivalries were renewed last weekend with all 12 teams getting a taste of conference action. Close games saw Miami and Kent State fall in the MAC East while Ball State and Buffalo continued to roll.

Akron 65, Miami 60

Arguably one of the most intriguing games of the first weekend of conference play took place in Oxford. Coming into the contest, the RedHawks were 4-8 while the Zips had posted an 8-6 record in nonconference play.

Before the final horn sounded, the teams had traded the lead seven times. Akron took the lead for good with 1:40 left on the clock. The Zips made up for their lackluster performance from the charity stripe earlier in the game by sinking five of six free throws under the two-minute mark.  

RedHawks forward Julian Mavunga recorded a double-double with 23 points and 14 rebounds in the losing effort.

Buffalo 66, Kent State 65

In a thrilling back-and-forth contest, the Bulls, led by Javon McCrea, snuck away with a victory at home against the Golden Flashes.

Kent State held a two-point lead at halftime, but its advantage was washed away in the final minutes of the game. With four minutes remaining, Randal Holt nailed a shot from behind the arc to put the Golden Flashes up 62-60 — what turned out to be their final lead of the contest.

After going on a 6-0 run in the closing minutes of the game, Buffalo finally conceded a 3-pointer to Kent State, but the shot was not enough to send the game into overtime. In the end, it came down to strong defensive efforts and late-game rebounding.

“We can arrive at some pretty high moments and high-level of play,” said Buffalo coach Reggie Witherspoon. “What we’ve got to be able to do is sustain it, stay at that level and play at that level for an entire game.”

McCrea finished the game with 25 points while Justin Greene led the Golden Flashes with 16.

Ball State 78, Western Michigan 69

In the MAC West, the Cardinals were successful in their quest to retain their position atop the division standings.

Both teams made a habit of scoring in bunches last Saturday, but Ball State never trailed and led by as many as 16 points midway through the second half.

Four Cardinals scored in double digits, including forward Jarrod Jones who registered a team-leading 20 points. The Broncos received contributions from Demetrius Ward and Matt Stainbrook, who combined for 30 points and 13 rebounds.

mm938910@ohiou.edu