Occu-Puppy offers opportunity to air gas grievances

This weekend, Ohio University students and locals will leash up their pups for Occu-Puppy, a final attempt to petition the use of gas euthanasia in Athens County dog shelters.

The Athens County Animal Advocates will rally at 10 a.m. Saturday outside Friendly Paws Pet Supplies & Grooming, 940 E. State St., utilizing banners, chants and perhaps even the company of a few canines.

“We’re hoping for a big turnout, but we just wanted to make a statement to the commissioners that we don’t want gassing to continue,” said Sarah Robles, co-founder of Athens County Animal Advocates.

Athens County is one of only 13 counties in Ohio that continues to use gas euthanasia in dog shelters, Robles said in an email.

The demand to shift from gassing to lethal injection arose in October, but has been delayed until the Athens County dog warden can compare costs of the two methods.

“I’ve been told by a former employee that they used to do (lethal injection), and it got too expensive, and that was the reason they had to stop,” said Larry Payne, Athens County Commissioner. “But I think we need to see what the figures are now.”

However, not everyone agrees that euthanasia methods should be economic decisions.

The American Veterinary Association lists gas euthanasia as an inhumane practice when used on puppies or pregnant, sick or elderly animals, said Karen Kuhlman, president of Ohio University Animal Advocates.

“I don’t think it matters if it’s cheap or not,” Kuhlman said. “It’d be cheaper to just hang all the dogs, but that doesn’t make it the right thing to do.”

Payne plans to meet with members of Athens County Animal Advocates and Ohio University Animal Advocates by February to decide on the matter, Kuhlman said.

“I’m trying to see both sides and see what the best interest of Athens County is,” Payne said. “I think there’s a number of persuasive reasons to go with lethal injection, but there are a lot of other things involved.”

sg409809@ohiou.edu