Sales company searching for interns at OU

The local branch of a nationwide marketing company is seeking students for an internship that, in the past, has led to jobs at companies such as ESPN, Coca-Cola, AT&T and Enterprise.

Campus Special, the nation’s leading college marketing company, is searching for Ohio University students to participate in its 2012 summer-internship program.

Campus Special’s $100-bill coupon book is distributed on Court Street at the beginning of each quarter and can be found at College Book Store and Specialty Books. The company not only works to save students bucks at participating local restaurants and shops during the school year but also provides internships for OU students interested in sales, advertising, business, marketing and communications for six years.

“It has definitely prepared me to speak professionally, and I gained a lot of confidence through working with powerful people in the Athens community,” said Morgan Smith, a senior studying communication studies and an account executive for Campus Special.

Interested students can apply online at campusspecial.com/internship before April 13. Once selected to participate, the students will attend an all-expenses-paid, four-day training session in Atlanta, where they will receive formal sales training from the Campus Special management team.

Students also will work with former interns, who will give them pointers on how to be successful with the company once they return to campus.

Upon students’ return to Athens, they will begin meeting with local business owners to sell ads in the Campus Special coupon book. The ads will also be featured on Campus Special’s new mobile app, an additional push by the company to offer deals to students.

Thus far, past and current participants have been responsible for gaining the participation of about 50 Athens restaurants and shops, including D.P. Dough, Domino’s, UniversiTEES and Bagel Street Deli.

Interns are paid 10 percent commission on each ad sale to an area business.

“The average intern will bring in $2,500 to $3,000 over the summer,” said Jennifer Gress, former intern and account manager for Campus Special.

Campus Special’s goal is to open students to future job opportunities in the sales field. Almost 50 companies have recruited former and current interns who have worked with Campus Special.

“Definitely look into the program, especially if you’re interested in sales,” Smith said. “It’s just like having a real job.”

hm156809@ohiou.edu