Sheriff Kelly Appointed to Statewide Law Enforcement Committees

After today, criminals and legislators alike will have to continue to contend with Sheriff Kelly beyond the borders of Athens County.

The Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association announced today that Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly has been reappointed to the association’s education and legislation committees.

This is the 3rd time Kelly has been appointed to the education and legislation committees.

The legislation committee is comprised of 17 Ohio sheriffs who monitor state legislation and how it will impact law enforcement, Kelly said. If a piece of legislation impacts law enforcement, the committees reviews it based on any impacts it could have law enforcement. They then give either their approval or disapproval of the bill.

Kelly said that because the committee represents Ohio’s 88 sheriffs, its recommendations are respected and can effect change.

The education committee looks at trending issues in the law enforcement community, such as technology and training, and how to adapt law enforcement to the changing world, Kelly said.

Kelly believes the committees will focus on several different issues during this term.

The committee is currently attempting to expand the legal responsibilities of Ohio sheriffs by changing the terminology defining sheriff roles in legislation. He also added they will advance an agenda concerning concealed carry as well.

The committee will also look into any fracking legislation that moves through the Ohio legislature this year and how it will impact law enforcement, Kelly said, adding that he sees both the economic benefits of the practice as well as its environmental risks.

He also said he sees both sides of the argument but hasn’t decided how he personally feels about fracking yet.

dd195710@ohiou.edu