Slippery streets don't stop dads

Freezing rain and cold temperatures did not prevent fathers from sliding into Ohio University to celebrate Dads Weekend.

Even when sleet hit Athens County this weekend, dads flocked to the university. For some, such as freshman Andrea Dubell, the icy conditions even offered a bonding experience.

“(The weather) was bad and it made him get here later,” Dubell said. “But it was good because it gave us something to talk about because we both like photography and it makes for interesting pictures.”

OU’s multitude of organizations had something for everybody as fathers and students searched for good times. Events pandered to every type of father, from the musical man to the dad obsessed with sports and video games.

For those interested in the arts, there were a variety of performances over the weekend, including Sunday’s Faculty Music Concert, the School of Art Biennial Faculty Exhibition and the Interior Architecture Exhibition. The Athens Black Contemporary Dance Company also had three performances

The University Program Council catered to the man’s man with a “Dad’s Man Cave” Friday. The event included a variety of finger foods and games. Emma Clark, UPC university events executive, said about 100 people attended the event and UPC was happy with the turnout.

“The Indy car races, Hi-Striker and Wii sports games projected on the wall were all huge hits with the dads,” Clark said. “Many students whose dads were not in town came in and had a great time eating and testing out all the games as well.”

Beer aficionados also had an outlet at Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery beer-tasting, presented by the Empower Foundation. And at the 2nd Annual Alden Open, dads were able to show off their golf talents.  

“It was fun, some of the holes were kind of hard,” freshman Devyn Louison said. “I like how it went around the library.”

Participants had access to food, drinks, raffle prizes and the opportunity to bond and sometimes compete with their fathers. 

“They just need to make a handicap for the father,” said Kevin Louison, Devyn’s father.

eb104010@ohiou.edu