Task force aims to resume conversations about opening, connecting Oxbow Trail

Bobcat Lane will be the subject of debates once again after a yearlong hiatus from discussions about its future.

Ohio University’s Student Senate introduced the “Why No Oxbow” task force composed of students and Athens citizens Thursday.

The taskforce, created per Student Senate resolution on Nov. 9, attempts to reopen negotiations with Athens City Council and Mayor Paul Wiehl about opening Oxbow Trail and connecting it to Richland Avenue, said Chris Wimsatt, Student Senate treasurer and chairman of the task force.

The curb separating Oxbow Trail and Richland Avenue is a safety issue because the first floor of Baker University Center and Bird Arena can only be reached by one road, Wimsatt said.

If an accident were to happen, emergency vehicles would have to drive down Richland Avenue toward South Green Drive and then turn onto Oxbow Trail, Wimsatt said.

City officials view the opening of the trail as a potential disruption of traffic patterns on Richland Avenue, he said. Others have expressed concerns that opening the road could be dangerous because it is home to heavy pedestrian traffic.

But Mary Kate Gallagher, the executive director for the task force, said students were able to adapt to the addition of vehicle traffic when Jeff Hill opened in September 2010 and that pedestrian traffic would decrease were the road opened.  

One challenge to advocates for Bobcat Lane is that funding to cut the curb has been spent. Wimsatt said he believes OU should foot the bill to open the roadway once an agreement is reached.  

Despite previous opposition to the connection from city officials, task force members say they want to begin dialogue on a fresh note.

Task-force members are encouraging students and residents to send their ideas about the connection to help foster discussions with council that could lead to an agreement.

“All I want is increased access,” Wimsatt said. “I am willing to look at any other viable options, but I haven’t found any. If anyone has an idea, I am open to hear it.”

ao007510@ohiou.edu