Wrestling: Ohio brings home season's second conference win

For the first time this season, the Bobcat wrestlers went on the road and brought back a dual-meet win, as they defeated the Buffalo Bulls 22-18.

Ohio’s second conference win of the season spoiled Buffalo’s final home meet, and the final one in the career for the 141-pounder Kevin Smith, who is the reigning MAC Wrestler of the Week. The highly promoted meet was the third annual Takedown Cancer event, in which all proceeds were donated to charity.

“Getting a win was exciting,” Ohio coach Joel Greenlee said. “Today was a big day for Buffalo and we were able to escape the long road trip with a victory. This will definitely be something to build on as we head back home for a couple weeks.”

Ohio (3-5, 2-3 MAC) rebounded strong against Buffalo (5-12, 0-2 MAC) after dropping its last pair of dual meets at home to Kent State and Bloomsburg.

Leading the way for the Bobcats on the mats were heavyweight Jeremy Johnson and Ryan Garringer (184-pound weight class), who both won their matches.

Other Bobcat winners were Gabe Ramos (125-pound), Drew Hammer (133-pound) and Harrison Hightower in the 157-pound bout.

Even though one of its top wrestlers, Nick Purdue (174-pound weight class), did not compete because of injury, Ohio prevailed against Buffalo as each team won five matches.

“We have had times in the season that were rough but we just want to keep improving and getting better every meet,” Johnson said. “Some things have happened this season we can’t control, but there is still time to do well.”

After his win on Sunday, Johnson, who is ranked No. 7, has now won all eight of his matches in dual competition and boasts a team-leading 25-5 record on the season.

Ohio will remain in Athens for another two weeks in its final dual meets of the season at The Convo, before it will host the MAC Championships on March 4.

“We have had a fairly rough season, but I am hoping that this will give us some key momentum as we are reaching the end of the season,” Greenlee said.

cl027410@ohiou.edu