Marlene and Jim Bruning began eating breakfast every day at Cutler’s Restaurant in the Ohio University Inn 22 years ago, after Jim retired from teaching. The Brunings moved to Athens in 1962 and have been married for 53 years.

22 years later, couple still dines together every morning at OU Inn

When Jim Bruning retired after 35 years of working, he decided to give his wife a gift — anything she asked for.

“All I want is to have breakfast with you at the College Inn every day,” Marlene Bruning responded.

So, every day for the past 22 years, the Brunings have eaten breakfast together at Cutler’s Restaurant in the Ohio University Inn.

During those more than two decades, the restaurant’s staff has gotten to know them like family.

“I’ve been here for a while, and they’ve been here longer than I have,” said Debbie Llewellyn, who works at the restaurant. “They’re such nice people that love having company and love talking to people, especially students.”

The Brunings have lived in Athens since 1962 and raised three children here.

“Athens is a place that absolutely grows on you,” Jim said. “Athens became just a nice place to be and a great place to raise children.”

Jim, a former OU professor of psychology from Bruning, Neb., previously taught classes in Mexico and Hong Kong and now teaches online psychology classes at OU. Marlene grew up in Kansas City, Mo.

The couple hosted parties and gatherings with attendees ranging from alumni and deans — including author Elie Wiesel and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer and OU alumnus Mike Schmidt.

Jim and Marlene quietly enjoy the Athens area and all that it has to offer.

“We love the local OU students and community,” Marlene said. The couple found the personal feel of Athens to be desirable, saying it has everything a couple could want in a community.

When asked what their plans for this Valentine’s Day are, Marlene said, “After 53 years of marriage, every day is Valentine’s Day.”

az346610@ohiou.edu