New York Giants fans at The Crystal rejoice after the Giants victory in Super Bowl XLVI. The Giants won 21-17 over the New England Patriots.

Athens tunes in for Giants' win

Although tradition and commercials attracted viewers to Sunday’s Super Bowl, many football fans in Athens preferred to watch the championship game from their homes instead of bars and restaurants.

Unlike last year’s battle between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers, the teams playing in Super Bowl XLVI — the New York Giants and the New England Patriots — were from cities farther away from Athens.

“When I walked in I was surprised there weren’t more people in here,” said Ohio University student Kevin Reitz, a fifth-year senior who was at Buffalo Wild Wings during the game. “I thought that it would be hard to get a table, and it would be completely full. But regardless, what I want more than anything is just a good game, hopefully it’ll be like 2008.”

The same somewhat understated atmosphere could be found at The Crystal, where OU junior Jon Brown came to cheer for his home team: the New York Giants.

“I always come to The Crystal so that’s why I came here tonight,” he said. “I came here for the Super Bowl last year, and it seems like it was a much bigger turn out then. Since the Steelers played last year and that’s closer to Athens, people cared a bit more. Not that many people (at OU) are from New York or New England.”

On campus, Ping Center hosted a Super Bowl watch party, with free food from Goodfellas pizza. About 100 OU students showed up to watch the game, though some say the event could have been better promoted.

“OU needs to better promote events like this, “ said Ebony Porter, a fifth-year-senior. “Stuff like this really cuts down on students going out to drink.”

Porter she was enthused about the game, but a little weary about halftime performer Madonna.

“Madonna is old,” she said. “I was actually shocked to hear that she was performing, I thought they would do somebody younger.”

After the performance, Porter put her thumbs up, and then dropped them down toward the floor.

“You see these two thumbs?” she said. “Look how low I can make them go.”

The Material Girl’s performance did sit will with some.

“I thought it was pretty good. I like the guest performances a lot,” said OU senior Charron Otis. “But I’m a big football fan, and the game is what’s most important to me.”

When the final second ticked off the clock, it was Brown’s hometown team that reigned victorious, as the Giants defeated the Patriots, 21-17.

jj360410@ohiou.edu