Aaron Butler and his group nobrow.music.collective rehearse for a performance. Butler composes the music for the group, which will play Friday at Donkey Coffee and Espresso. (Joel Bissell | For The Post)

Band asks audience to 'focus on the sounds'

Though the name nobrow.music.collective is meant to be vague, the band’s ability to tackle contemporary music largely unknown to most is not.

The collective, headed by Aaron Butler, will perform Morton Feldman’s “Duration Series I-V” at Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 ½ W. Washington St., Friday at 10 p.m.

The group was created to perform just one show, but Butler enjoyed it so much he decided to continue the project. Members rotate in for different pieces and arrangements.

Though the group plays contemporary orchestral and wind pieces, Butler selects those that wouldn’t have been played in high-school or college band.

“We don’t always get a grade for music,” Butler said. “It’s good to get out there and just perform.”

Friday’s performance will highlight Morton Feldman, a musician who spent most of his life working at a laundromat while composing music. His musical success did not begin until he turned 47.

“He has more in common with the visual arts than he does with performing arts,” Butler said. “He uses sounds like we see color.”

Butler said that while the music might not be rhythmically interesting, it forces you to focus on the sounds — a good fit for Donkey’s atmosphere.

Alex Burgoyne, a graduate student studying saxophone performance, is not playing in the upcoming performance but has played with the collective in the past.

“I’m always pleasantly surprised by the number of people who come out,” Burgoyne said, adding that if the concert were at a bar the band would be playing something more aggressive.

The group constantly uses new unique ideas by playing music to silent films and composing their own music — something Butler works hard to accomplish.

“It’s a labor of love,” Butler said.

wh092010@ohiou.edu