LOSEY

Deputies seize half of alleged heroin-dealing duo

A four-month long investigation by Athens County Sheriff’s Office deputies resulted in the arrest of one member of an alleged heroin-distributing duo Friday.

The office’s Narcotics Enforcement Team arrested Kayla S. Losey, 22, of Nelsonville, for possession of heroin and tampering with evidence, according to a release from Sheriff Pat Kelly.

Kelly said Losey lived with Matthew C. Long, 30, and the pair allegedly distributed heroin from the residence.

“We had been investigating (Losey and Long) for about four months,” Kelly said. “We knew a high volume of heroin was flowing out of their residence.”

The team stopped a vehicle owned by Losey and Long Monday. Losey was arrested and, during questioning, voluntarily surrendered 14 grams of heroin concealed in her vaginal cavity, Kelly said.

Deputies had received information that there was heroin in the car but could not find it in the car, Kelly said.

“When we know there is heroin in the car but can’t find it, it’s usually on the suspect’s person,” Kelly said.

If a suspect does not voluntarily surrender drugs concealed in a body cavity, law enforcement would obtain a search warrant and take the individual to a hospital, where the drugs would be “extracted,” Kelly said.

As of press time, Losey was incarcerated at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Kelly was unable to comment where Long was during the arrest but said a warrant has been issued.

Kelly said Long is probably still in the Nelsonville area and added that he is confident Long will be captured.

Anyone who sees Long should contact the sheriff’s office at 740-593-6633.

rc348710@ohiou.edu

rm279109@ohiou.edu