Falling profits force closing of family's junkyard

Dustin Wheatley scrambles to find parts and admit customers to his junkyard to scavenge what they can from the corpses of cars that line the path up the twisting hill.

Wheatley’s speed and professionalism belie the fact that this is the busiest Landot Used Auto Parts has been in years and that the crowds are only there because of the discount prices designed to clear the junkyard out.

Located minutes north of Athens, Landot, 10414 state Route 550, is a 36-acre salvage yard that has fueled repairs for local residents and mechanics alike since 1946.

But hard times and changing markets will force the business, which has been family-owned and operated for three generations, to close Feb. 28.

“The future doesn’t look bright to me,” Wheatley said. “I wanted to get out while I could still take a profit and re-invest it.”

Wheatley’s grandfather Fred Landis opened the yard in 1946, and it has passed through the generations to Wheatley, who took over the business about 10 years ago.

Since then, Wheatley said he has seen a steady decline in profits until the possibility of closing the yard became a reality.

“We need to bring in about $1,500 per day to break even,” Wheatley said. “We haven’t been doing that consistently for eight months now.”

A variety of factors, including thievery, smaller profit margins, increased competition and the Internet, are all contributing to the problem, Wheatley said.

Though many of Wheatley’s new customers are trying to capitalize on closeout deals, the regulars, such as Jack Alvis, are sad to see the yard close.

“I knew his grandfather, knew his father, and I know Dustin well too,” said Jack Alvis, owner of Alvis Auto Repair. “We’ve always had a great relationship with them, and I hate to see it go, to be honest.”

Alvis is one example of Landot’s decline in business. Between two years, the repair shop decreased its business with Landot from about $1,800 per month in 2009 to about $300 in 2011, according to records from Wheatley.

Overall business has followed the same trend; Landot revenue declined about $200,000 per year from 2005 to 2010, according to Wheatley’s records.

Customers are not the only ones who will miss the relationships built throughout the years and generations.

J.R. McKee, the owner of a competing junkyard, McKee’s Auto Parts, said his business probably will not see a noticeable increase after Landot’s close because of differences in their clientele.

“It’s sad to see them go,” McKee said. “I’ve had a lot of people tell me them closing is going to help my business, but I don’t see it that way. We each had our niche.”

Wheatley will to move with his girlfriend to Nashville, Tenn., where he plans to “flip” houses.

Moving away from his childhood home will be “bittersweet,” Wheatley said, as leaving the memories of his childhood will be difficult, but he is ready for something new.

“I’ve watched this town stay the same for years, and I’ve got more wants and desires than I can succeed with here,” he said. “I’m excited to look for a new adventure.”

d195710@ohiou.edu