Komen renews funds to joy of SE Ohio's Planned Parenthood

Breast cancer screenings for poor women in Southeast Ohio are no longer in question thanks to a major donor’s reversing a controversial decision.

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation announced Friday that it was reversing its decision to halt funding to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screenings. The decision came after outcry across multiple social-media platforms from both Komen and Planned Parenthood supporters.

Komen recently adopted a new policy that would block funding to any organization under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. Komen said it ceased funding to Planned Parenthood because the organization was the subject of an investigation after a Florida congressman accused the group of using public funds for abortions, according to the Associated Press.

Planned Parenthood has denied the accusation made in the investigation.

“In recent weeks, the treasured relationship between the (Komen Foundation) and Planned Parenthood has been challenged,” said Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards in a statement. “We are now heartened that we can continue to work in partnership toward our shared commitment to breast health for the most under-served women.”

The Komen Foundation said its decision to halt funding to organizations under investigation was not politically motivated and felt that it was fulfilling a duty to its donors.

“We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue,” said Komen’s Founder and CEO Nancy G. Brinker in a statement. “We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.”

Planned Parenthood received a total of $680,000 from Komen in 2011, according to the Associated Press.

All grants to the organization totaled more than $81 million, according to Planned Parenthood’s 2009–10 tax forms, the most recent made available by the organization.

The Athens Health Clinic, 1005 E. State St., operated by Planned Parenthood of Southeast Ohio, offers breast exams as a part of its women’s health care services.

“We are so glad that Komen has restored funding to Planned Parenthood for vital breast cancer screening and education services,” said Lisa Perks, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southeast Ohio, in a statement. “This decision reinforces that women’s health care and breast cancer in particular is no place for politics, and we look forward to continuing and enhancing our relationship with Komen.”

The Athens Health Clinic declined to comment, and Planned Parenthood of Central Ohio could not reached by press time.

jj360410@ohiou.edu