New way to solve problems available at OU

When it comes to settling a dispute, mediation may not be the first thing that comes to Ohio University students’ minds.

But several OU students have signed up for a 14-hour training program over a span of four weeks to learn how to help settle conflicts.

The Athens Area Mediation Service is sponsoring four free mediation skills training sessions for OU faculty members and students starting Thursday. There will be a total of four sessions from 1:30–5 p.m. Thursdays at the Human Resources and Training Center. So far, 15 participants have signed up for the sessions.

“Mediation is a kind of conflict resolution where you learn to ask good questions and help people resolve conflicts,” said John Schmiedling, director of the Athens Area Mediation Service.

Participants will learn listening and questioning skills, and will gain insight into the roots of conflict.

“The goal is to have as many people in both the university and the Athens community to have skills for handling conflict so that conflict is reduced, and when it does it occur, it is handled well,” Schmiedling said.

The training sessions are being offered free of charge to OU students and faculty because of financial support provided by the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, Schmiedling said — normally a training session costs about $300.

Ann Fidler, chief of staff for Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit, said the office gave the Athens Area Mediation Service $10,549 this fiscal year, part of which is used for training.

“We have had a longstanding relationship with the Athens Area Mediation Service, and they provide additional expertise with mediation issues,” Fidler said.

Participants at the sessions will share some of their own personal experiences with conflicts.

“It is very participatory and interactive,” Schmiedling said. “People who just want to sit in and listen shouldn’t come.”

The Fundamentals of Mediation Training series has been going on for more than 10 years, and more than 700 people in the Athens area have gone through training.

Chris Wagner, an OU senior studying sociology and criminology, took part in a past training session and said he would recommend it to his friends.

“The training aims to teach the use of mediation in a personal setting but also in a professional setting,” Wagner said. “I learned personally a better technique for working through conflict situations.”

Those wanting to attend Thursday’s session must register in advance at 740.594.6169 or at athensmediation@gmail.com.

“The training is a great opportunity, and hopefully people can make all the sessions,” Wagner said. “If they make that commitment, it will be the most beneficial.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu