Palestine Night promotes cultural education

Ohio University's Students for Justice in Palestine is providing Ohio University students with a night full of music, dance and food at a Palestinian Cultural Night on Saturday.

The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Baker University Center Ballroom.

The celebration is sponsored by the International Student Union and the Multicultural Center and is open to all OU students.

Eden Almasude, a first-year graduate student studying African studies, helped organize the event and said Palestinian food such as baklava, hummus, pita, dates, nuts and tea will be provided.

“We also are also featuring … a dance group from Ohio State University that uses the art of dance to talk about Palestinian culture and assert it," Almasude said.

Maria Rodionova, a first-year medical student at OU, said she is looking forward to the event.

“I’m excited for the music and the dancing,” she said. “I expect it to be similar to popular Arab music, and I think a lot of people will enjoy it.”

OU’s Students for Justice in Palestine is a group comprised of students and Athens residents who are interested in promoting justice and solidarity in Palestine. Almasude said the goal of the group is to educate people about Palestine and its culture.

“We just hope people realize that Palestinians are humans like the rest of us,” Almasude said. “They have a culture which is valuable, and it is important for all of us to learn about it, that way we can gain something and learning about each other.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu