Residents voice various worries at town hall meeting

About 100 Athens County residents gathered at the Athens Community Center Tuesday evening to petition local officials to take action on topics ranging from hydraulic fracturing to homelessness in the area.

Addressing Athens County Commissioners and Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl, residents spoke about a wide variety of issues that have yet to be resolved during Tuesday’s Athens Town Hall Meeting, hosted by the city of Athens and the Athens Chapter of the League of Women Voters.

Wiehl said the meetings became a regular event when he took office and are a way for the county to strengthen communication between residents and officials.

The meeting enables anyone to voice his or her opinion about Athens and what the city should focus on more intently.

“Lots of good has come out of the town hall meetings,” said Councilwoman Christine Fahl, D-4th Ward. “The mayor and the city council can’t do it all on their own.”

Though more than 30 speakers made it to the microphone to speak about a variety of topics, the one that citizens and landowners frequently fell back on was hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking.”

Fracking is a controversial drilling technique that has potential negative environmental effects that have raised concerns in local farmers and landowners in Athens.

“Fracking is one of the largest threats to our city,” said Rachel Hyden, a leading member of Ohio University Students Against Fracking. “We need to fight this injustice.”

In addition, citizens spoke out on the issues of homelessness and poverty, which have been an ongoing issue in Athens.

In the past, children have been turned away from the Timothy House, a shelter for the rural homeless, which did not sit well for Athens residents.

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said he is excited residents are concerned with homelessness because it is an issue that will require plenty of determination, courage and patience to solve.

“It shows that people want to deal with problems that are bigger than they are and that affect a broad range of people,” Butler said.

Among the other topics breached include the potential closure of Chauncey Elementary, a need for public transportation in Athens and a bicycle campaign to improve parking strains and environmental issues.

“This is a lot of food for thought,” said Wiehl. “I think we should all work together on these issues, that’s why we’re all here.”

Wiehl closed the meeting, saying that the commissioners are doing everything they can to make the necessary changes, and he is always open for further suggestions.

“This won’t be a 30-second fix, but we will try everything,” Wiehl said. “I can’t promise the world because I don’t possess it — I’m just a part of it.”

At a follow-up Town Hall Meeting in June, city officials plan to describe the steps they have taken to address issues that were discussed at last night’s meeting.

az346610@ohiou.edu