Safe and Sexy event offers chance to learn safe loving

Students who can’t wait until Valentine’s Day to turn up the heat need not look further than Baker University Center for a solution.

Two back-to-back sex toy parties will headline the Campus Involvement Center’s annual Safe and Sexy event on the first floor of Baker Center tonight.  

“The event is like a big social activity, particularly for people who may not want to spend money on dinner,” said Terry Koons, associate director for campus involvement.

Participants will don necklaces marked “single” or “dating” and enjoy cookie decorating and craft making, among other things.

The event stresses the importance of practicing safe sex through various information booths, Koons said.

“If you want to go and get that information you can, but you don’t have to,” Koons said.

POWER/GAMMA members will put on various demonstrations for students about safe sex and provide a variety of products to take home, such as whistles and latex.

“A lot of people think that they know the procedures and how to be safe, but really people make simple mistakes,” said Katarina Nesic, a junior studying biology and a POWER/GAMMA member.

Michelle Barth, a sophomore studying nutrition and a POWER/GAMMA member, said condom demonstrations using dummies will be performed for students.

“There are things about how to put on a condom properly that I didn’t even know,” Nesic said. “There are 13 steps.”

The event is free to students, but attendees can purchase sex toys at either of the parties, Koons said.

And attendees could win two Wiz Khalifa tickets if they complete a survey.

“You just have to sign in and complete the survey for a chance to win,” Koons said.  

Barth expects this year’s turnout to be even better than last — anticipating more than 600 students, she said.

“It is a really fun event,” Barth said. “I remember going before I joined POWER, and I was really excited to join POWER after that.”

If you go:

Where: First Floor Baker University Center

When: Friday 8 to 11:30 p.m.

What: Safe and Sexy Social

Admission: Free

sg409809@ohiou.edu