Scripps plans summer Olympics trip

Several Ohio University journalism students won’t be having the average summer this year.

The Institute for International Journalism will take between 14 and 18 students to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London to cover the Olympic events.

This trip is being offered for the first time this year and was organized by the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and the Office of Education Abroad.

The trip will take place July 23–Aug. 13. It will cost $4,300, which will cover housing, two events, and transportation passes that provide access to any train in London. Participating students still need to pay for a plane ticket and meals. Applications are being accepted until Feb. 20.

Students can complete the entire application online at Ohio University’s Study Abroad website. Those applying should be enrolled in the Scripps College of Communication and have at least a 2.5 GPA.

“We are looking for students who have a real passion for journalism and writing about sports,” said Hans Meyer, assistant professor of journalism and the faculty adviser for the trip.

Meyer added that any student interested in international affairs, global communication, visual communication, entertainment and global sports should apply.

Students will work with the Associated Press and the United States Olympic Committee to cover two Olympic events and participate in four excursions across London.

Those participating will also take classes in London and receive credit for two classes — Specialized Journalism and Sports Journalism.

Some of the events students might be able to attend include U.S. basketball team practices and tours of the International Broadcast Centre or Wimbledon, Meyer said.

The manner in which students cover the Olympic events is up to them, Meyer said. They can create a website or write articles for newspapers of their choice.

“I applied to go on the trip, and if I get accepted, then I’m definitely planning on going,” said Todd Ward, a sophomore studying journalism. “It would be a very great experience for sure.”

Students can apply for scholarships for the trip, but they’re competitive, Meyer said.

Zak Kolesar, a freshman studying journalism, considered applying for the program but decided not to because of the cost.

“The Olympics only come around every four years, so it would be a great opportunity,” Kolesar said. “It gives students the chance to experience all different types of cultures.”

Meyer researched and organized the trip after being approached by several Scripps students about the idea.

Students looking for more information can attend an information session at 7 p.m. Monday in Sing Tao 101.

tt182810@ohiou.edu