Sibs Weekend: Magic, comedy collide in family event

Siblings flocking to Ohio University this weekend can witness magician Bill Blagg walk through steel and glide on a hover board Friday at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

The show begins at 7:30 p.m. and Blagg said it’s not what most people expect out of a magic show.

“It’s not the kind of magic show with wind in my hair and girls at my side,” Blagg said. “It’s more like grand scale magic meets comedy.”

Blagg received his first magic set at five and has been hooked ever since.

But his breakthrough did come until 13 years later, when he became the youngest contestant to ever win the Abbott Magic Get-Together in Colon, Mich.

He performed his signature trick, The Dancing Hank — a floating, dancing handkerchief with a personality. 

“It’s handkerchief, a radio and me,” Blagg said. “The handkerchief comes to life. I think it has better dance moves than Justin Timberlake."

The two-hour act not only showcases Blagg’s dancing hank but also his jokes and audience participation.

“Bill has always been a very fun, energetic funny guy,” said Kristin Miller, Blagg’s office manager. “This is how he's able to connect so well to his audiences, because he's just being himself."

And audiences here seem to be responding well to the magician, said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center. About $7,000 in ticket sales have already paid for the cost of booking not including at the door sales.

“It’s a family event,” Holzaepfel said. “He’ll be perfect for Sibs Weekend so that the whole family can come out.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu

IYGB:

What: Magician Bill Blagg

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium

Admission: $12 student, $18 senior, $20 general