The World Spins Madly On: Today's relationships fall on our own hands, hearts

Is it possible that the majority of American couples don’t take commitment seriously anymore, that perhaps a large number of people don’t agree with the idea of a monogamous relationship?

More than 50 percent of all American marriages end in divorce.

Lasting marriages are rare. Seeing an 80-year-old couple holding hands and just as in love with one another as when they first said their vows is something than many of us admire. Unfortunately, in today’s society, ending a marriage is fairly socially acceptable.

With such a loose perception of marriage in our country today, it’s hard to take marriage seriously even for those who truly are in love. When money gets tight or the spark seems to be missing in the bedroom, it is much easier for couples to just walk away. With so many other aspects of life in need of time commitment and hard work, it’s more difficult than ever for couples to want to make an effort at staying together.

So many things demand our attention that it’s hard to prioritize and find a balance. The small things in life build up and begin to toy with marriages, creating huge obstacles that most couples feel too tired to battle. On top of that, the working environment is drastically different from ever before. With companies in competition to win greater demand over their opponents, employees are faced with greater expectations and pressures. Many jobs force six days a week of labor with no holidays.

With one or both partners working, gender roles at home can become stressful. Couples seem to lose interest in one another and blame the other for the stress they feel. Eventually, there is no desire to compromise and work things out. There is no want to work at the marriage and remain a unit.

Today, marriages are seemingly disposable. People throw them away constantly. Not only divorce but also drifting apart in general are hard for the couples who do remain married. It prevents us from believing that two people really can stay in love forever.

Relationships today are being trashed through cheating. Cheating is becoming much more common and is actually acceptable in what is known as an “open” relationship.

Marriage is meant to last forever. If it weren’t, it wouldn’t be called marriage. It’s a life commitment the moment you say the words “I do.”

I believe that it’s important for people our age to seek healthy relationships and strive for commitment.

It’s important to think before jumping into a marriage. Before marrying, it’s necessary to be completely sure that the person you say you love now is someone you can love forever, for better and for worse.

Living in a world where divorce is acceptable and marriages seem broken can be discouraging for us. But it’s our choice how we will love and if we will fight to make that love last forever.

Olivia Harlow is a sophomore studying journalism and photojournalism and a columnist for The Post. Help her keep love alive at oh258409@ohiou.edu.