Students, faculty and members of the community gather on College Green OU for the Rally of Justice run by OU in Hoodies group in honor of Trayvon Martin. The rally started at 5 p.m. on College Green while participants of the rally listened to speakers and walked from College Green to the graffiti wall near Baker University Center. (Samantha Owens | Staff Photographer)

250 students gather to protest shooting of black teen

More than 250 students, faculty members and Athens residents showed up to the “Justice for Trayvon” rally earlier this evening to protest the shooting of a Florida teen.

The attendees staged a protest against social injustice in the handling of the death of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old black male shot to death in Sanford, Florida on Feb. 26. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot Martin, has not been charged.

The group gathered in front of the West Portico of the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium at 5 p.m. for the rally.

Organizers painted multiple signs and distributed them among the protestors, and later used them in a march through campus.

Seven speakers addressed the crowd on topics of racism and issued a call to action for students.

“(Trayvon Martin) can either be a seed for change or he can be a tragedy we always look back on,” said Pastor Leon Forte from the Grace Christian Center in Athens.

ph835608@ohiou.edu