Holly Molnar, a makeup artist at Attractions Hair and Tanning Salon, has created her own lip gloss — aptly named Stagelight Lip Gloss — that has an LED light built into the cap and a mirror on the bottle’s side for those low-lit application times. (JULIA MOSS | Staff Photographer)

Athens makeup artist lights up local lip-gloss market with her creation

They say her lip gloss is cool, her lip gloss is poppin’. In the words of rapper Lil’ Mama, a local makeup artist’s new line will have women loving the way they put it on so perfect.

Holly Molnar, a makeup artist at Attractions Hair and Tanning Salon, 19 N. Court St., is planning to release her own line of products called Austin Molnar. The first product, Stagelight Lip Gloss, will be available April 9, Molnar said.

The lip gloss has an LED light and a mirror attached to the side of the container to allow women to use the gloss during times other products would be difficult to apply.

“The Stagelight Lip Gloss allows women to apply this gloss at anytime or anywhere — even on the go,” Molnar said. “I hope the Stagelight Lip Gloss will be attractive to both young and mature audiences.”

The gloss will cost about $20 and will be available for purchase at Attractions or through austinmolnar.com beginning April 9.

Beth Brink, an Ohio University senior studying psychology, said that, although she has not seen Molnar’s lip gloss, she thinks it is a great idea and imagines it attracting customers.

“Although I am personally not a lip-gloss girl, I can see the convenience of this product and can see girls who like to wear lip gloss really enjoying it,” Brink said. “I’m surprised that there is not a product like this.”

Molnar said she decided to create her own line after working more than 25 years in the makeup business, including experiences with Revlon, Lancôme and Oprah Winfrey’s personal makeup artist Ross Burton.

“I learned amazing things (from) Ross,” Molnar said. “He was just amazing to watch and has to be one of the most gifted and talented makeup artists I have ever worked with.”

The experience Molnar gained helped fuel the development of her own business and brand.

“I learned a lot of great tips and had a great career with these companies,” Molnar said. “But I eventually saw the success of my makeup artistry and business skills (and decided) that I wanted to create (products) by myself.”

In 2003, Molnar moved to Athens with her husband and began developing her own products with the help of a manufacturing company, which Molnar declined to name.

“Although I had a lot of experience,” Molnar said. “I came to a place where no one knew who I was. I had to reinvent and build credibility to prove myself and my products, and Attractions helped make that happen.”

Harolyn Brient, an Athens resident who has been a client for two years, is excited for Molnar and thinks the quality and uniqueness of her products will help make Austin Molnar a well-known and respected brand name.

“I really like and use daily some of her skincare products, and I think the Stagelight Lip Gloss is a hoot,” Brient said. “Her products are special because they are created just for her and it’s not something you can buy in any store.”

sl642509@ohio.edu