Baseball: Wright State silences Ohio offense, cruises to victory

Before Ohio’s non-conference game against Wright State Tuesday, opposing coach Rob Cooper presented Bobcat coach Joe Carbone with a commemorative bat to honor his last season with the team. From there, though, all the Raiders handed the Bobcats was a loss.

Ohio (10-13) fell to Wright State (12-10) by a 7-1 margin despite totaling 10 hits, only one less than its opponent.

Both teams began the game relatively stagnant, but as the second inning rolled around, so did the Raiders’ bats.

Senior centerfielder Ryan Ashe began Wright State’s offensive output with a double to deep center and was driven in by junior designated hitter Kody Krizman, who later scored because of an error by Ohio freshman third baseman Logan Cozart.

After a three-run second inning, Wright State senior first baseman Jake Hibberd blasted a home run — a liner that tipped the centerfield fence on the way out.

But for the remainder of the inning, the Raiders experimented with a more tactical plate approach.

With runners on second and third, Ashe laid a bunt down the first base line. Relief pitcher Tyler Backstrom misplayed the roller, allowing Ashe to reach first and junior left fielder Corey Davis to cross home plate.

Another bunt and a sacrifice fly completed the Raiders’ inning.

The Bobcats tried their hand with some small-ball in the seventh inning, where freshman Tyler Wells reached first safely with a bunt down the first base line. Nothing came of the tactics, however, as Ohio stranded the left fielder on first.

Carbone used the game as a medium to evaluate his relief pitching corps. He used four relievers, the most successful of which was senior Shane Cole, who allowed no hits or runs in three innings.

“There are certain guys who we pretty much have a good feel for what they can do and what they can’t do,” Carbone said. “Other guys are still not doing the things that we want them to and we’re working on them. So when it comes to games we have to stick them out there to see how they do.”

Junior hurler Shane Dedig (1-1) made the start for the Bobcats, going two innings, allowing three hits and as many runs.  

The Bobcats won’t have much time to lament their loss, as they will continue their six-game homestand Wednesday against Division-III opponent Otterbein.

“We’re just taking the approach of one pitch at a time and one game at a time,” Painter said. “We have to let this one go and come out to play against Otterbein. You still have to come out to get 27 outs and come back as a team and come together.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu