Campus Care hooks up phone line for non-U.S. students

For many students, deciding to visit the student health center boils down to weighing whether waiting times and the cost of testing is worthwhile. For international students, however, it’s simply a matter of communication.

To remedy the latter, Campus Care debuted a 24-hour Language Line last quarter to help practitioners more effectively communicate with patients who speak a foreign language.

The program is provided through Language Line Services, a national company that offers translation and interpretation services over the phone.

The Language Line, which is free to students, provides the health center with an interpreter who translates for both the practitioner and the patient.

Tonya Burdette, director at Campus Care, said it creates increased patient compliance and eliminates unnecessary testing that arose in the past as a result of language barriers.

“It is more effective for care, more accurate diagnosis,” Burdette said. “You’re able to explain it better to the student.”

Burdette added that Language Line interpreters complete a medical training and a skill assessment before translating for the center.

Alisa Smith, a customer service representative at Language Line, said they complete their training through the service’s own program.

“We are trying to work on a certification process,” Smith said. “We do certify our (translators) through our own program.”

Krista McCallum Beatty, director of international student and faculty services, added that, before the inclusion of the Language Line at Campus Care, the student health facility contacted her on several occasions when in need of a translator.

“I think, for individual students, the Language Line could be very helpful if they aren’t understanding either the medical terms or are a little unsure how to explain their symptoms and their concerns to the staff at Campus Care,” McCallum Beatty said.

She added that about 5 percent of the 17,302 undergraduate students are international students.

Furthermore, Burdette said students who wish to use the Language Line are assured the same privacy as patients who see only a practitioner.

“We sign contracts. (The interpreter) signs contracts,” Burdette said. “We explain (the privacy contracts) to the student as well, and then (the interpreter) does when they get on the phone.”

Though the Language Line hasn’t been used much since its debut at the health center, Burdette said it has been effective in removing the language barrier.

“Bottom line, it’s better patient satisfaction,” Burdette said. “They’re more comfortable coming to us.”

sg409809@ohiou.edu