The newest tenant at 19 S. Court St., The Dragon's Cup, opened Thursday, with a menu that includes crumpets, ice cream and more than 70 varieties of tea. (Julia Moss | For The Post)

Dragon's Cup bubbles up in GG's former spot

For the past four years, 19 S. Court St. has been a revolving door for eateries and bars, serving both thirsty students and those seeking a cup of coffee to go.

The newest tenant, The Dragon’s Cup, opened its doors Thursday.

The new teahouse delivers menu items similar to its predecessor, GG’s Bubble Tea, but with the addition of ice cream, candies, ramen bowls, toasted marmalade, crumpets, cakes and more than 70 selections of tea.

“It’s a teahouse atmosphere where you can sit down and relax and not be bothered, but you don’t have to get up and get your own stuff,” said Dylan Armstrong, owner of The Dragon’s Cup.

Armstrong said the name stems from her fascination with different cultures, an aspect she hopes to incorporate into the atmosphere of The Dragon’s Cup.

“I felt (a dragon) was something that was interesting enough but didn’t leave anyone out,” Armstrong said.

The teahouse is set to double as a study space for students and a liaison among different cultures represented in Athens.

“We’re just hoping to feature the best of Athens here and throw in a little international flair,” Armstrong said, adding that the teahouse will eventually feature Arabic and Turkish coffee.

Plans to move forward with the new establishment were finalized last week, Armstrong said. Only two weeks earlier, she was working to tweak the interior aesthetics with a fresh coat of paint.

But while the transition has been quick, Armstrong said additions will continue to be made to the teahouse.

Plans for the newly renovated teahouse include an “old-lady zone” on the upper floor and a “chill zone” on the bottom floor. The former will function as a study spot for students, while the latter will play host to dance parties and movies.

“It’s relaxing during the day and a place to party at night,” Armstrong said. “It’s a place to dance off the stress of the week.”

Armstrong added that she thinks the main allure of The Dragon’s Cup will be its emphasis on an assortment of locally produced goods that cater to the needs of a variety of students.

“It’s not (a chain restaurant) like Chipotle or Jimmy John’s,” Armstrong said. “It’s really a breath of Athens.”

sg409809@ohiou.edu