International Women's Day Festival to feature acts fostering women empowerment

With recent debates on contraception and women’s role in the army, the Women’s Center brings a reason to celebrate women. 

Sunday will mark the fourth annual International Women’s Day Festival at Ohio University, sponsored by the center.

The Women’s Center at OU responds to the needs of OU women students, faculty, and staff, as well as members of the community. The center is dedicated to creating an inclusive and welcoming campus climate for all members of the community through programming, resources, referrals, advocacy, and education, according to the center’s website.

International Women’s Day started globally 100 years ago and at Ohio University when the Women’s Center was founded in 2007.

“It is a wonderful opportunity to highlight the diversity of our community, and the many accomplishments women have made in the past, present, and future, and, simply put, it is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate women,” said Susanne Dietzel, director of the Women’s Center in a press release.

While the center hosts different lectures and discussions throughout the year, International Women’s Day allows students and members of the community to be educated in a different way, said Elizabeth Chinn, a graduate assistant at the Women’s Center.

“There are a wide variety of acts being presented,” Chinn said. “There will be a ton of dances, spoken word, people presenting original research, lots of different cultural things, and it’s much easier to consume and understand than lectures. It’s a really great way to start conversations.”

In addition to the acts, the festival is honoring the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts of America with their theme, “connecting girls, inspiring futures.” The center has invited several Girl Scout troupes from the surrounding area, and there will be different crafts and child friendly activities, which will hopefully encourage girls to get involved, Chinn said.

“We encourage children to come to our events because many times they do not get to participate,” Chinn said. “This allows them to be engaged rather than just come to be sideline observers.”

ks574510@ohiou.edu

IYG:

What: International Women’s Day Festival

When: 2 p.m. Sunday

Where: Baker Center Ballroom

Admission: free