Occupy OhioU rallies on College Green

Ohio Univeristy’s Occupy Wall Street-inspired group, Occupy OhioU, is meeting on College Green now for what Occupy groups around the country are terming the “day of action.”

Occupy OhioU have placed flyers all over campus to help get the word out about the event. The rally is starting on College Green and will be followed by a march and a demonstration outside Cutler Hall.

Occupy OhioU has held several “general assembly” meetings to plan the event. They welcomed anyone that wanted to come.

“We just want the students to know the facts about the issues that affect every one of them,” said Katie O’ Neal, a senior studying history.

One of these is rising tuition and student debt, which some students might have to pay of for years after they graduate. Occupy OhioU members are also concerned that students’ rights are limited. Students can’t vote for student trustees, and the student trustees don’t have a vote on the Board of Trustees.

“We want the university to be responsible to us,” said Derrick Thomas, a sophomore studying history.

Tyler Barton, a senior studying chemistry, is one of the leaders of this movement. He said in February he hoped for a turnout of several hundred students for the rally.

“Students deserve the right to be integrated on how the university is run,” Barton said.

tt182810@ohiou.edu