Students fill the parkinglot of Bromley while moving back into the dorms for Spring Quarter on Sunday, March 25. Until recently Bromley Hall residents were able to freely park in the small parking lot behind the building, the free spots have now been replaced with metered parking.

OU reinstitutes free loading zone for Bromley

Fall Quarter marked the first time Bromley Hall residents had to feed meters in the dormitory’s parking lot. But after two quarters of backlash, two free unloading zones have been reinstated for those with university parking passes. 

Ohio University’s Transportation and Parking Services replaced Bromley’s four free loading zones with parking meters this past summer.

OU Student Senate, along with Bromley Hall and Parking Services representatives, met earlier this month to discuss alternatives, deciding to reinstate two of four free spaces. 

“I think there are definitely benefits (to reinstating the spaces),” said Madison Meredith, Bromley’s senior resident assistant. “I think this might show (students) that Parking Services are able to compromise, and it’s more fair. They’re already paying for parking passes, and now they don’t have to pay quarters every time they get groceries.” 

OU officials turned administration of parking areas — some of which were previously controlled by Residential Housing — over to Parking Services four years ago, and Bromley was the last residential hall to switch.

No other dormitories had free parking spaces — a statement Meredith contested, claiming free spots still existed at Bryan.

But Marty Paulins, director of transportation and parking, said, “to his knowledge,” free unloading and loading zones at Bryan were never available, 

Both Parking Services and Residential Housing decided to place meters at Bromley, said 

Penny Trace, associate director of renovations for residential housing.

The installation aimed to “make it fair across the board,” Paulins said, adding that, in theory, free spaces were never available at other OU dormitories. 

Danielle Fultz, a previous resident of Bryan, said parking meters are useful.

“I haven’t noticed any abuse of it, before or now,” said Fultz, a sophomore studying French and European history. “It’s just more convenient. Though you have to pay, you know you won’t get towed, and you can have more time.”

Meredith wrote a petition to remove the meters and collected more than 300 signatures from Bromley residents and the Residents’ Action Council.

“It’s been a tough fight,” Meredith said, adding that the same campus groups that met earlier this month are scheduled to meet again in April to discuss additional changes. 

sj950610@ohiou.edu