Ohio player Sara Clark bats against Central Michigan last season. The Bobcats lost to Central Michigan during the April 22 game with a final score of 4-3 at the Ohio Softball Field. (Alex Goodlett | File Photo)

Softball: 'Cats prep for MAC play in 2nd half of season

While most students were busy relaxing during spring break, the Ohio softball team was focused on preparing for the second leg of its season, as it attempts to compete for a conference title.

Ohio (10-13) will begin Mid-American Conference play Friday afternoon with a doubleheader against Bowling Green — the first of eight consecutive conference games.

“This is what it is all about,” Hermanek said. “It’s time to rise to the occasion as a team in a conference that doesn’t have strong or weak teams. Everyone is around the same caliber of play, and it is a pretty on-your-toes conference. You never know what to expect.”

Since the Georgia Bulldog Invitational the first weekend of March, Ohio has gone 2-4, but Hermanek said she is confident her team is ready to compete against the MAC teams.

Hermanek said despite what the records and statistics may portray on paper, the Bobcats are in full swing, and it is time to prove itself as a contender once again in the conference.

“We’ve already missed some opportunities this season as far as pressuring our opponents goes,” Hermanek said. “But our pitching is already much stronger than I expected, and the real season is just now getting underway.”

During the past three weeks, Ohio has focused heavily on hitting and executing during its timely at-bats, as well as defense. But Hermanek said the key to the team’s success for the rest of the season will be capitalizing on allowing the fewest at-bats possible for the opposition.

In the MAC, nine of the 12 teams have a record of .400 or better, but only three teams — Bowling Green, Miami and Ball State — have winning records.

As of now, the standings in the conference are almost complete opposites of the pre-season coaches poll. 

Ohio has six new freshmen on the team that have yet to play a game against a conference opponent, in addition to five sophomores, but Hermanek said she does not expect youth to be a hindering factor.

Freshman pitcher Lauren McClary has already tossed two no-hitters and a one-hitter in her young career. With a team-high five wins and 69 strikeouts in 73 and 1/3 innings pitched, McClary will be one of the young players expected to lead Ohio to victory during the coming months.

At the plate, sophomore Raven King has already belted four home runs and driven in 12 runs, as she leads the team in slugging and total bases.

Without veteran leadership, the Bobcats still appear to be a contender for another MAC East championship.

Conference play will not begin until Friday afternoon, but the Bobcats will play their home opener Tuesday afternoon in a doubleheader against Eastern Kentucky.

cl027410@ohiou.edu