Softball: Coach confident in 'Cats' competence heading into tourney

As competition continues to intensify for the Bobcats, coach Jodi Hermanek is optimistic that her team is ready to compete with the best of the best in this weekend’s University of Georgia Tournament.

“This weekend will be very tough, but we like to compete against the best,” Hermanek said. “We will certainly be tested, but we’ve progressed so much the last three seasons, and it’s time for us to show off some of our mojo and win.

The team only practiced one day this week because of rain Wednesday and has limited practice options indoors. But the Bobcats (6-6) have momentum entering the weekend, as they are coming off two solid games against Colgate, in which Ohio scored 11 runs and committed no errors.

Ohio will begin its next tournament Friday afternoon with a doubleheader against Mercer and Rutgers.

Mercer (7-8) began its season slowly but has been winning lately, having won seven of its past nine contests. Rutgers (4-3) has only played seven games this season but is led by outfielder Brittney Lindley, who already has three home runs and is hitting .615. The senior has already earned a Big East Player of the Week award.

On day two, the Bobcats will play against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, who are 10-3 heading into the weekend having outscored their opposition 74-19. In the second game of the day, the competition will be even tougher against the host team, Georgia.

The Bulldogs are ranked seventh in the nation after getting off to a 12-2 start through the first few weeks of the season. They are solid in just about every facet of their game with a staff ERA of 1.77, a team batting average of .331 and only 15 errors.

In the fifth and final game of the weekend Sunday morning, Ohio will face Cleveland State. The Vikings have only one win on the season and have lost three straight.

The tournament marks the last of four straight weekends on the road for the Bobcats.

“We are going to give it our all this weekend, but we are really looking forward to finally playing at home and getting some key practice time over the break we have the next couple weeks,” Hermanek said.

cl027410@ohiou.edu