This third-floor dorm room door in Boyd Hall bore what appeared to be marks from a fire Wednesday morning. (Brandon Carte | For The Post)

Student reports apparent fire in Boyd Hall

Several small fires were set in Boyd Hall early Wednesday morning.

Students woke up this morning to what appeared to be physical evidence of a fire. Several dorm room doors on Boyd's third floor appeared to have burn marks on them, and there was what appeared to be ash on the hallway's carpet.

At about 4 a.m., a Boyd Hall resident assistant reported that two room doors and a bulletin board had been set on fire on Boyd Hall's third floor, according to an Ohio University Police Department crime alert.

At about 5:15 a.m., the resident assistant reported that two more fires had been found and put out in the men's restroom on the third floor of Boyd Hall, according to the report.

Several Boyd Hall students said they did not hear fire alarms and that the dorm building was not evacuated.

"I just woke up this morning, and the door next to me, it looked like something had caught on fire," said Sophie Rich, a freshman who is undecided in her major and who lives on Boyd Hall's third floor. "If there were (fire alarms), I didn't hear them, and I don't think anyone else did, either."

There was no record of a call made to Athens Fire Department, according to an employee of the fire department.

OUPD is treating the fire as an arson and is investigating the incident. Anyone with information should call OUPD at 740.593.1911.

rm279109@ohiou.edu