Five Ohio swimmers head to Indianapolis for their chance to advance to the Olympics. Ohio competed against Denison in this January photo. (KATHARINE EGLI | Picture Editor)

Swimming: Ohio hopes to make splash in Olympic qualifiers

For a chance at a spot in the Olympics, five Ohio swimmers will have to go the extra 25 meters along with some of the best swimmers in the world.

Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte and Dara Torres will be among the participants in the Indianapolis Grand Prix, along with Ohio junior Katey Brooks, sophomores Lauren Funk, Rachel Stearns, Laurin Williams and freshman Tori Bagan.

The event, which will run from Thursday through Sunday, is the first of several Olympic qualifying meets. The Grand Prix format will be a long course, 50-meter lanes instead of the usual short course, 25-meter lanes Ohio competes in during the regular season.

Ohio swimmers will compete in 11 events during their stay in Indianapolis.

The Bobcats began long course training again on Monday after competing on the short course during the season.

The Bobcats will not only be competing against swimmers from other schools, but against international competitors as well.

Ohio coach Greg Werner said this would be a great experience for the five Bobcats and a starting point for the summer season that runs until August.

“This is an opportunity for select members of our team to compete in a long-course competition, getting ready for the summer against some of the best competition in the country,” Werner said.

Despite competing against some of the best swimmers in the world, Werner said the Bobcats would not change their preparation.

“We want to do the same things we do any point during the season. Compete well, execute well, don’t give your competition anything. Make them earn everything and expect the same in return.”

Werner will not make the trip to the Grand Prix, instead remaining in Athens to train with the rest of the team while assistant coach Anthony Harris will accompany the Bobcats to Indianapolis.

mk277809@ohiou.edu