Ohio guard Ashley Fowler looks for an open teammate against Kent State. The Bobcats again face the Golden Flashes on Saturday in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament. (Olivia Harlow | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Ohio prepped to defend Convo in tourney's first round

The Flashes have already dealt the Bobcats one blow this season, but Ohio is hoping lightning doesn’t strike twice.

Ohio (13-17, 6-10 Mid-American Conference) hosts Kent State (6-20, 5-11 MAC) on Saturday in the first round of the conference tournament.

The teams split the first two meetings this season, with each team protecting home court. The Bobcats will look to do the same Saturday.

Ohio’s players and coaches were excited about playing a first-round game at The Convo, which has yielded an 11-5 home record for Ohio.

“It’s always good to play at home, your home court, your home fans,” senior guard Tenishia Benson said. “It gives us confidence going into the MAC tournament. Our goal is to win it all.”

This being the third time these two teams will meet up, both teams know the style of play that the opposition employs.

Ohio coach Semeka Randall said that, at this stage of the season, no team can be taken lightly.

“We know exactly what they like to do,” Randall said. “One thing is that you cannot take any team for granted around this time. We know we have to come out and play.”

Randall said the Golden Flashes will have the services of Diamon Beckford, who was unavailable to play in the previous game. At more than 10 points per game, Beckford is the team’s second-leading scorer.

Kent State also features two other double-digit scorers in Tamzin Barroilhet and Trisha Krewson. Combating the offensive balance will be key for the Bobcats.

Barroilhet and Krewson measure up at 6 feet tall and play guard. Benson said the transition game is important if the Bobcats are going to challenge the height disadvantage.

“We like to run,” Benson said. “I think we can do what we do best, which is great defense, ball pressure and running.”

The Bobcats are unquestionably led by Benson and guard Shavon Robinson, but junior forward Tina Fisher has been a key defender and gives Ohio an offensive presence in the paint.

“At the end of the season, all you want to do is throw everything you got out there,” Fisher said. “It’s win or go home. Every game could potentially be your last game, so you have to give everything you have. That’s what I try and do every game.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu