Athens man charged in child-porn case after FBI's yearlong search

—Editors Note: Due to confusion over a section of the FBI filing, the original version of this article included the name of the adolescent sexually assaulted by Jason Hutchinson, falsely attributing that name as a nickname for Hutchinson. All references to that name have been removed. The Post regrets the error.

An Athens man is in federal custody after an FBI investigation identified him as an alleged producer and distributor of online child pornography.

Jason L. Hutchinson, 4353 Campbell Road, was indicted on two counts of producing and one count of possessing child pornography by a federal grand jury Wednesday.

Hutchinson was allegedly discovered while the FBI executed a search warrant of a known sex offender in Boston in February 2011, according to court documents. The FBI seized a laptop and external hard drive, which contained two videos, each showing an adult man having sexual contact with a minor.

In the first video, the man, allegedly identified as Hutchinson, was clothed and performed oral sex on a 9- to 12-year-old nude boy, according to court documents.

In the second, the man thought to be Hutchinson is shown naked with a 10- to 14-year-old boy, who is also naked. The two are then shown under the sheets with a dog for several minutes. Hutchinson is shown performing oral sex on the boy, and then the boy is shown performing anal sex on Hutchinson, according to court documents.

The first video was filmed between Jan. 1 and Dec. 9, 2009. The second was filmed on or about Nov. 14, 2011, according to court documents.

In addition to the videos, the hard drive had numerous photographs and the sex offender from Boston provided information that assisted the FBI in tracking down Hutchinson through his email address, according to court documents.

On Jan. 24, 2012, law-enforcement officials were able to identify Hutchinson as the man in the videos and photographs by his driver’s license photograph.

Officials executed a search warrant at Hutchinson’s residence March 16. A bedroom at Hutchinson’s residence was identified as the one in the videos. His dog was also identified as the one seen in the second video, according to court documents.

During an interview with officials, Hutchinson acknowledged having sex with the two boys and admitted to using a webcam to record it but said he did not intend to broadcast them. Hutchinson stated that one of the boys had been at his residence the evening before, according to court documents.

Production of child pornography carries a minimum sentence of 15 years and a maximum of 30 years in prison. Possession of child pornography carries a maximum sentence of 10 years. Hutchinson could be sentenced to 70 years in prison if convicted of all three charges, according to the United States’ law code.

Hutchinson’s arraignment is scheduled for 2 p.m. April 18 in Columbus.

ml147009@ohiou.edu