Baseball: Ohio still searching for offensive spark to ease reliance on pitching

With important conference games looming, the Bobcats are looking to polish their game before heading down the home stretch of Mid-American Conference play.

Ohio (22-17, 11-4 MAC) squares off against Eastern Kentucky (17-19) Tuesday afternoon in Richmond, Ky. in a midweek break from conference play.

The Bobcats’ pitching staff has helped keep the team in games so far this season, but Ohio coach Joe Carbone said he would like the hitting to be more consistent, especially in situations with runners in scoring position.

“We are off and on as far as cashing in on scoring opportunities with no outs or one out with men on third,” he said. “I’ve been harping and harping and harping and they understand but you have to go up there and do the job.”

As crucial games against MAC East opponents loom on the schedule, situational hitting is going to be important. Midweek games such as Tuesday night’s allow the Bobcats to refine aspects of their game.

Strong pitching will be important Tuesday, as Eastern Kentucky features three players with great ability to leave the yard.

“They have guys that like the home run like (Ohio right fielder Jensen) Painter,” Carbone said. “They have some guys with some real power in their lineup.”

Richie Rodriguez leads the team in round-trippers with 11. Bryan Soloman and A.J. Jamison follow with eight and six home runs, respectively.

Other than being a team that runs the bases well, Carbone said the Colonels field at higher percentage because they are helped out by the synthetic surface of Turkey Hughes Field.

Carbone said his team would benefit from it as well.

“I don’t think it will affect us that much, he said. “You end up looking better on Astroturf because the balls slow down and the hops are truer.”

One thing that will help the Bobcats down the stretch is having junior starter Seth Streich back on the mound. Streich missed 12 games previously this season, and is still working to return to form.

“It kills to be injured and it’s nothing fun. There’s no athlete that wants to do that, Streich said. “ When the team is doing well without you and you can come back and contribute to their success that they are already having, that’s a big point for me.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu