Board rules yOU cannot replace treasurer

A Student Senate Board of Elections decision Monday denying yOU’s request to replace its treasurer candidate means that the REACH candidate, Evan Ecos, will run unopposed.

When Eric Holley, yOU’s previous treasurer candidate, dropped out of the race Wednesday after a Post investigation revealed his February disorderly conduct violation, Tony Koehling, yOU’s presidential candidate, filed a request to replace him the following day.

“Nothing changes,” said Ecos, a junior studying communications. “I’m still here because I firmly believe in REACH’s campaign and believe in Zach (George) and Amrit (Saini) and will continue to campaign with and for them.”

Koehling wanted to replace Holley with an at large senator.

“If I’m not going to have someone from my own ticket, I’m very glad to see someone I respect as a person and whose abilities are as good as or better than anyone on this campus,” Koehling said.

The Board cited senate rule 100.12 in their denial of the request.

“In the case that the candidate, running as a member of a party must withdraw from the university during the period between the date the candidate is certified and seven calendar days prior to the date of an election, the party may replace him or her with a candidate,” the rule states.

“It’s a minor speed bump,” Koehling said. “I’m sad we lost Eric, but we won’t miss a beat moving forward.”

Even though Ecos is now running unopposed, REACH’s presidential candidate Zach George is confident Ecos will still campaign as usual.

“I know Evan is still going to put his best foot forward and let people know that he’s the best person for the job,” said George, a junior studying finance.

Koehling, if elected to president, said he is looking forward to having executives from two different tickets.

“Having people from both sides provides a great opportunity to have a more democratic process,” Koehling added.

Ecos agrees that executives from two different parties would be an “interesting opportunity,” he said.

“I think personally we would get along and our positions would naturally make for differences in government,” Ecos said. “But, I still stand in full support of REACH.”

sj950610@ohiou.edu