Seniors Brooke Mogart and Alexis Joseph work together to tag out Northern Illinois's player Allyson Hecht on second base during the final inning of the double-header. The Bobcats won both games on Friday, 4-1 and then 9-3. Ohio also beat fellow MAC competitor, Western Michigan, in its second game of the day after falling short in the first game of the day on Sunday. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Bobcats confident, energized about Flyers face-off after weekend wins

Amid a dip in April temperatures, the Bobcats will try to stay hot when Dayton visits the Ohio Softball Field on Tuesday.

A strong outing against the Flyers would not only extend Ohio’s recent success, but it could also extend the Bobcats’ winning streak against Dayton to 15 games. The Flyers come into the contest having split a weekend series against George Washington.

Dayton ranks below average in the Atlantic 10 Conference in terms of team defense. The Flyers rank third to last in the Atlantic 10 in team pitching with a 4.10 ERA and have also committed 58 errors this season.

The Bobcats are coming off an impressive weekend during which they took three out of four games against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

Despite Dayton’s subpar numbers, Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek is not taking the Flyers lightly.

“Dayton has had a lot of errors this season,” she said. “We aren’t expecting anything to be routine, and we need to think everything can go our way and stay focused and energized on our part. I hope we can get the same opportunities we have been getting the last few games.”

Hermanek said this weekend was a big confidence boost for the team and that it could help the team gain confidence down the stretch.

“Every weekend means a lot, but the more wins you can get, especially against a team that is the same as us, is big,” Hermanek said.

Coming off a change in the normal weekend schedule — a Saturday rainout before a Sunday doubleheader — Hermanek said Ohio should be fresh and that the bench will be available if needed in the Bobcats’ third doubleheader in five days.

“We need to stay fresh and really utilize the off-day,” Hermanek said. “We will rely on our depth and our big roster for Tuesday. We have 20 (players) on our roster, and they are all there for a purpose.”

Ohio freshman pitcher Lauren McClary said the recent offensive boost has been vital to her success on the mound. McClary pitched 26 of the Bobcats’ 28 innings last weekend.

“I’ve been attacking the batters and pitching strong lately,” McClary said. “It’s always important for me to do well, but especially lately as I have felt stronger. Our bats are alive again, and it’s a big confidence booster.”

mk277809@ohiou.edu