Former student suing school for 'breach of contract'

A former Ohio University nursing student is suing the university for $25,000 because of a “breach of contract” that prevented her from receiving her degree.

Robin Krause, 52, of Malta, Ohio, filed a lawsuit against OU on March 29 claiming that a change in the nursing program at OU-Zanesville violated the student handbook and prevented her from receiving her associate degree, becoming a registered nurse, and cost her $25,000 in damages, according to Ohio Court of Claims documents.

While enrolled in the nursing program in 2009, Krause took Nursing 260, a required course for the program. The class required students to achieve at least a 91 percent on the Assessment Technologies Institute exam, a predictor test for the National Registered Nurse Board, according to court documents.

Krause and about 65 other students signed the student handbook, which outlined the terms for passing the class.

While Krause was in the class, the program switched from the ATI to the Health Education Systems Inc. exam, a different predictor exam that required a score of 850. The ATI could be taken an unlimited number of times, but the HESI can only be taken four times. Krause took the exam four times and did not get a score of 850, according to court documents.

Because she failed the HESI, Krause failed to pass Nursing 260 and could not receive her degree. Krause claims that being denied her degree from OU barred her from becoming a registered nurse, which decreased her possible income.

She also claims that she invested $57,000 in her nursing education and spent $2,085 to get a license to be a practical nurse.

She asked the court to have OU grant her grade for Nursing 260, her nursing degree, back pay for the salary of a registered nurse, and $25,000 for lost wages.

ml147009@ohiou.edu